Thanks for Visiting

Welcome to Mark's Mystical Musings. In this blog I will share my reflections upon my moments of living. I am coming from a new thought perspective that celebrates our personal and unique magnificence and beautiful journey. I follow that our moments are guideposts and opportunities to learn and evolve. Everything has information and meaning. I invite you to reflect upon my musings.



Thursday, December 22, 2011


Day One New Delhi, December 22, 2011
Morning breakfast in a beautiful in house restaurant, strong coffee, assorted Indian flavors and delicacies, small omelette, and a pastry…delightful. First opportunity to connect with Sonia, Patrick, the girls and significant others, and Debra. Post breakfast walk with Patrick and I made my first miscalculation. 
I am from a small town in California and still live in one. Crowds are not known in these towns. I am a gentle person who is very sensitive to energy. The minute we walked out the gate, the real Delhi became evident in increasing washes of humanity. It was a powerful reminder of the conscious use of boundaries. I, being the wide eyed novice, put on my lavendarish Hawaiian shirt and grabbed my camera bag. It has several lenses, a video cam, and a sound recorder to capture the charming sights and sounds, the local flavor. I might as well had a neon sign on me that said fresh meat. Now I fully respect the need for each to make a living and I can see that many have no issues with assertiveness and persistence. But multiply that by each of the vendors and walkers along a given street and it quickly becomes overwhelming. And me and my camera bag are inviting. I am used to giving an answer and moving on. We, Patrick and I, were followed and hounded for blocks to take a ride in one of the small taxis. No does not mean no here. It is an invitation for a more creative approaches. Now Patrick has been here many times and knows the lay of the land. But since the world sporting event last year a lot in the city has been cleaned up.  He found it remarkable, the change since he was here 4 years ago. Whisking through the streets headed for the emporium it’s hard to keep track of directions and landmarks. Something different to see with every blink of the eye. It wasn’t long before we found ourselves going where the driver wanted us to go…apparently, an emporium where he received commissions on sales…it was obvious…so we had him take us back to the hotel neighborhood. Now I am very good with directions and it only takes one time for me to get how to move about. But I am used to the trees and quiet streets and the ocean. But I, for this first sortie into the world of Delhi, am a wet behind the ears novice who, quite frankly, was intimidated.
Calling in my protection by speaking my name, invoking the Tibetan protection mantra , Hung Vajra Peh, singing homage to Durga for protection with the mantra, Om Dum Durgaye Namaha, and calling on “Lions and Tigers and bears Oh MY!” kept me occupied but it did not diminish my discomfort. It was just too much, so I finally told Patrick I had had enough and we turned for the hotel. Like when the rental horses turn and head for the stable, my pace picked up and we scooted toward the gate. Sigh and nervous laughter fell out as we crossed into the property. Hot and sweaty and humbled, I carried my big old camera bag and my new awareness back to the room. Not really proud of my manly trek, but I am a quick learner. I have learned mostly how to not be a neon sign. Be present and smart…
Soon we embark on a group adventure under the guidance and auspices of the travel company. I am travelin light. It’s a process. A neophyte must crawl before he walks and then runs. I am in a high energy place that requires attention to the moment in ways that I have not been required to use. This is good for me. I am awakening a dormant part of my being. I will be a curious watcher of the evolution of my skills. I am alive, that’s for sure. Though a little shaky, it still feels delicious!


2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised at you being a 'novice' traveler in India. What a different world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know exactly the feeling of overwhelment (even if it is a made-up word). i feel it happen in foreign or new places and have to live with it for a couple of days until i find my center again...and some familiarity! thanks for sharing all of this trip

    ReplyDelete